A career as an analyst is both challenging and rewarding. At Volition, our analysts play a critical role in helping us identify, evaluate, and execute investment opportunities in growth equity. This is a dynamic environment that requires strong analytical skills, excellent relationship-building abilities, and a passion for investing. Our analysts are responsible for conducting due diligence on potential investments, modeling financial projections, and working closely with the investment team to make informed investment decisions. With opportunity for development, the analyst program has helped develop investment leaders at Volition and beyond.
Become an Analyst - Grow with Intention
Join a team that offers unprecedented access to founders and visibility in the VC ecosystem.
History of Volition
We have a rich and noteworthy history of driving growth and creating value for our clients and partners. Founded over a decade ago, we have established ourselves as one of the leading growth equity firms in the industry. Our team of experienced individuals has a track record of success, having executed on numerous successful investments across a variety of industries. We are proud of our reputation for being an innovative and trusted partner to our portfolio companies, and for delivering exceptional results for our investors. With a focus on long-term value creation and a commitment to ethical and responsible investing practices, we are setting the standard for the industry.
Our team is broken down into two main groups – Software and Technology Enablement, and Internet and Consumer. With plenty of opportunity to learn cross-team, we find that dividing the team allows us to become laser focused on finding the best companies within each space.
ABOUT THE ROLE
At Volition, our analysts play a critical role in helping us identify, evaluate, and execute investment opportunities in growth equity. This is a dynamic and fast-paced environment that requires strong analytical skills, excellent relationship-building abilities, and a passion for investing. Our analysts are responsible for conducting due diligence on potential investments, modeling financial projections, and working closely with the investment team to make informed investment decisions. With opportunities for growth and development, this is an ideal role for individuals who are looking to build a successful career in the world of growth equity.
- Work with mid-levels to identify key research areas and sourcing methods.
- Act as the first touch point on behalf of Volition (representing the firm)
- Conduct outreach and travel to meet founders to learn more and build relationships (including participation in industry conferences)
- Evaluate potential investment opportunities
- Pitch top companies to the investment team and help drive the diligence process as deals progress through the Volition funnel
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF AN ANALYST
- Analysts work in a vibrant, social office, built for self-starters, but with enough structure and mentorship to help guide an analyst’s development.
- Driven by intellectual curiosity, Volition encourages a collaborative team atmosphere where team members share stories of their calls, companies of interest, and best-practices.
- Centered around the sourcing activities, analysts spend a majority of their time identifying and engaging with tech-founders, and conducting financial diligence on their top pipeline companies.
- Although the work will ebb and flow over the course of an analyst’s time, success in the sourcing process drives greater opportunities.
Analysts are granted a lot of freedom to dive deeper into key research areas, attend conferences, guide teach-ins, and publish learnings on our blog. Additionally we encourage everyone to build out a network of VC/founders to expand their reach and visibility in the VC ecosystem.
Analysts are paired 1 on 1 with a VP or above with weekly meetings to guide sourcing/diligence efforts. Mentors will help set strategic goals for analyst’s career development and offer feedback on performance both informally and formally. In the past, analysts have been promoted at Volition, left to attend grad school, work at portfolio companies, or transition to various other roles. We promote a very feedback-driven culture with mid levels and partners who value the voices and opinions of everyone on the team.
Having a seat at the table
At Volition, our analysts play a crucial role in every aspect of the investment process. From sourcing new investment opportunities to conducting due diligence, our analysts are closely involved in every step. This hands-on approach provides our analysts with a deep understanding of the investment process and allows them to make meaningful contributions to the team. Analysts will have the opportunity to present the companies they’ve sourced to the team during investment meetings. While our analysts are not the final decision makers, they have a voice in the process and their insights and recommendations are valued by the investment team. Our flat organizational structure and collaborative culture mean that our analysts have opportunities to be heard and to have a real impact on our investment decisions.