Acquired in 2018 by The Jordan Company, GlobalTranz builds innovative technology that optimizes the efficiency of freight movement and matches shipper demand and carrier capacity in real-time.
GlobalTranz is a transportation management company specializing in LTL, FTL, Supply Chain Logistics and Warehousing. Leveraging its extensive independent agent network, GlobalTranz has emerged as a fast-growing market leader with a customer base of over 1 million product users and 25,000 shippers.
In 2019, Transport Topics named GlobalTranz #8 on their list of Top 10 largest freight brokerage firms in the U.S.
Founded in Phoenix, AZ in 2003 by Andrew Leto, GlobalTranz was built over the course of many years, ground-up without raising outside capital. Despite a minimal investment in infrastructure and sales and marketing, the Company was experiencing exceptional year-over-year growth.
After its third consecutive year listed on the Inc. 5000, in early 2010, GlobalTranz caught the attention of Larry Cheng at Volition Capital.
In early 2011, Volition Capital invested in GlobalTranz to help the Company institutionalize its financial operations and continue to scale.
The domestic 3PL market was large, highly fragmented and ripe for optimization through technology. 3PL penetration was low, leaving a significant opportunity to create relationships with shippers that typically worked directly with carriers and therefore paying higher rates.
At the time of our investment, GlobalTranz was the only company in the market to try to solve these pain points by combining a leading Internet-based technology platform with a predominantly agent-based sales model. While the technology platform drives retention, the agent model drives extensive reach into the small business market which is not easily accessible for carriers or traditional freight brokers
Larry Cheng, Volition Managing Partner recalls, “We were very impressed with the business from the first time we learned about it. The GlobalTranz management team was young, aggressive, and highly motivated to build a massively successful business. Additionally, the Company’s agent-based sales force was unique and enabled aggressive but capital efficient growth.”
Andrew Leto, founder of GlobalTranz, on his experience with Volition Capital:
“You want someone who believes in your idea – Larry and the team at Volition gave that to me. It’s important to remember that it’s never a straight line to build a company. There are lots of pivots along the way – you want to work with someone who believes in your idea and gives you some room to execute it.
From day-1 Volition also helped bring a lot of structure to the business that helped hold us accountable. That was really important. I always tell entrepreneurs they need a good investor to help hold the company accountable.”
- Financial infrastructure was insufficient relative to its size and growth at the time of investment
- Over-reliance on independent contractors
- Outsourced development team dynamic
- Young and inexperienced team
- Strengthened financial infrastructure of the Company to handle growth including establishing budgeting and reporting processes
- Helped establish a world-class, 5-person Board of Directors; recruited 3 independent directors
- Actively worked with Founder to identify and recruit CEO, CFO, President/COO and multiple VP level hires
- Helped design framework for substantial inside sales expansion which included the hiring of 50+ employees
- Introduced all follow-on investors to the Company to provide both working capital and shareholder liquidity
- In 2011, Volition invested in GlobalTranz
- In 2018, GlobalTranz was acquired by the Jordan Company