“Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration, and 2% attention to detail.”
– Phil Dunphy
A founding partner at Volition Capital, Larry focuses on investment opportunities in transactional Internet applications, e-commerce, digital health, and next-generation consumer brands.
Larry was an early investor and served on the boards of Chewy (acquired by Petsmart), Cortera (acquired by Moodys), Globaltranz (acquired by The Jordan Companies), mindSHIFT Technologies (acquired by BestBuy), Prosper Marketplace, Stylesight (acquired by Top Right Group), Verid (acquired by EMC Software).
“I want to be and believe I am the go-to partner for my founders and CEOs. When things are challenging, I’d like to be the first call because they know I will do anything and everything possible to help support them. When things are going well, I’d like to be there celebrating all of the little and big wins during the journey. I hope to be the most trusted and most impactful partner they can imagine.
I look for companies with home-run potential led by grounded and humble leaders. At Volition, we love companies that have paired an authentic mission, with passionate customers, and tremendous growth. These are hard combinations to find – so I am willing to take a risk to get it. I’ll back founders who don’t check all of the boxes for other investors. I will invest in sectors that are strongly out of favor. I’m not at all scared of novel or creative business models because I am a contrarian at heart.
The most rewarding part of what I do is helping my founders and management teams realize their aspirations. In a very real sense, we are in the business of helping to make dreams come true.”
Prior to spinning out Volition in 2010, Larry was a partner at Fidelity Ventures, where he led their investment in Verid (acquired by EMC). Before Volition Capital, Larry was a senior associate at Battery Ventures where he was actively involved in OpenNetwork Technologies (acquired by BMC Software), Ximian (acquired by Novell), and Ruckus Network (acquired by TotalMusic). Larry began his investment career as an associate for Bessemer Venture Partners where he focused on software investments. Prior to Bessemer, Larry was an associate consultant at Corporate Decisions Inc.
Larry earned a B.A. in Psychology from Harvard College.
- Larry has been a guest lecturer at Harvard Business School and MIT Sloan School of Management.
- He is on the Harvard University Alumni Association Board of Directors, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Board of Overseers, Wycliffe Bible Translators Board of Directors, and The Winsor School Board of Trustees.
Fun Facts About Larry:
- Larry’s technology career began at the early age of 13, when he became Apple Computer’s youngest certified technician – he also happened to electrocute himself during the training program.
- He made 51 out of 102 three-point attempts during his league MVP senior basketball season at La Jolla Country Day School (LJCDS). He also was an Academic All-American football player in high school playing both wide receiver and defensive back. Larry went on to play football at Harvard.
- Larry managed a $400k student-run laundry business in college and ultimately became president of Harvard Student Agencies (HSA), a $4.0M student-run company serving the greater Harvard community.
Businesses are math equations, and the “favorite equation” for many investors is: Revenues = Retained Revenue + Upsell Revenue + New Revenues This is a great equation often used for... more
Volition Capital Managing Partner Larry Cheng joins the Yahoo Finance Live panel to discuss e-commerce dominance amid COVID-19 Video Transcript ZACK GUZMAN: Welcome back to Yahoo... more
Volition Capital Co-Founder and Managing Partner Larry Cheng discusses the retail sector in a CNBC Squawk Box segment that also featured Pro4Ma CEO, Liz Dunn Larry highlights several... more
Former Chewycom board member and the company's first institutional investor Larry Cheng, who is also the co-founder and managing partner of Volition Capital, joins "Squawk Box" to discuss... more
Chewycom Co-Founder, Ryan Cohen, and Volition Capital Managing Partner, Larry Cheng, sit down and discuss what makes a great investor - and a great investor relationship Learn more about... more