“You can look at a picture for a week and never think of it again. You can also look at a picture for a second and think of it all your life.”
― Donna Tartt, The Goldfinch
Claude joined Volition Capital in 2019 to further strengthen the digital expertise on our Consumer and Internet investing team. She’s focused on investments in direct-to-consumer products, tech-enabled services, and marketplaces, with sector interests in beauty and wellness, age tech, and healthcare.
I love meeting with founders that have a deeply personal reason for starting their company. These are the leadership teams that have identified a truly broken customer journey and set out to make things better. These are businesses that are equal parts economics and empathy – how could you not want to help advance that goal?
I’ve spent a lot of time in previous roles advising CEOs at incumbent firms on how to guard against ‘disruption.’ I was way more excited about better understanding the disruptors and helping them to win! I was drawn to growth equity investing because we are lucky enough to partner with scrappy firms who are making an outsized impact (and keeping the old guard up at night).
PRIOR EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- Claude started her career in New York City at L2 Inc.and rode the roller coaster of joining an early-stage team (>20 employees) all the way to being acquired by Gartner, Inc. (NYSE: IT) five years later.
- While at L2, Claude partnered on digital strategy initiatives with Fortune 500 consumer companies ranging from Nike to Estée Lauder Companies and helped management teams to accelerate the growth of their businesses via e-commerce.
- Prior to Volition, Claude interned during her MBA summer at Bullish, a seed fund that’s backed direct-to-consumer disruptors including Peloton, Harry’s, Warby Parker and Casper.
- Claude holds a BA from Yale in Economics and Environmental Studies, and an MBA from Harvard Business School.
FUN FACTS About Claude
- Claude was born in Abu Dhabi (she’s happy to tell that story!) and raised in Toronto. Her sports loyalties are a hybrid of places she’s called home over the years – she’s a longtime Raptors fan and an emerging Red Sox fan.
- Claude was a competitive gymnast in high school and college, but if you meet her, you’ll be surprised to hear it. At 5’7”, she’s tall for a gymnast. Her specialty was the uneven bars.
- Claude’s favorite way to spend time outdoors is road biking, followed closely by snowboarding. Her Canyon road bike (great DTC disruptor brand!) is amongst her favorite possessions.
- Claude reads The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt over Thanksgiving every year.
By Claude de JocasUnder the White House’s Guidelines for Opening Up America Again, social settings of more than 50 people should be avoided until Phase Three, the final phase of the plan... more
By Claude de Jocas A few weeks ago, a few members of our team sat down for a brainstorming session Our goal was to come up with ideas for a series of blog posts that would showcase our... more