“You can look at a picture for a week and never think of it again. You can also look at a picture for a second and think of it all your life.”
― Donna Tartt, The Goldfinch
Claude is a Vice President on Volition Capital’s Internet and Consumer investment team. She joined Volition in 2019 and focuses on investments in direct-to-consumer products, tech-enabled services, and marketplaces, with sector interests in beauty and wellness, age tech, and healthcare.
I love meeting with founders that have a deeply personal reason for starting their company. These are the leadership teams that have identified a truly broken customer journey and set out to make things better. These are businesses that are equal parts economics and empathy – how could you not want to help advance that goal?
I’ve spent a lot of time in previous roles advising CEOs at incumbent firms on how to guard against ‘disruption.’ I was way more excited about better understanding the disruptors and helping them to win! I was drawn to growth equity investing because we are lucky enough to partner with scrappy firms who are making an outsized impact (and keeping the old guard up at night).
PRIOR EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- Claude started her career in New York City at L2 Inc.and rode the roller coaster of joining an early-stage team (>20 employees) all the way to being acquired by Gartner, Inc. (NYSE: IT) five years later.
- While at L2, Claude partnered on digital strategy initiatives with Fortune 500 consumer companies ranging from Nike to Estée Lauder Companies and helped management teams to accelerate the growth of their businesses via e-commerce.
- Prior to Volition, Claude interned during her MBA summer at Bullish, a seed fund that’s backed direct-to-consumer disruptors including Peloton, Harry’s, Warby Parker and Casper.
- Claude holds a BA from Yale in Economics and Environmental Studies, and an MBA from Harvard Business School.
FUN FACTS About Claude
- Claude was born in Abu Dhabi (she’s happy to tell that story!) and raised in Toronto. Her sports loyalties are a hybrid of places she’s called home over the years – she’s a longtime Raptors fan and an emerging Red Sox fan.
- Claude was a competitive gymnast in high school and college, but if you meet her, you’ll be surprised to hear it. At 5’7”, she’s tall for a gymnast. Her specialty was the uneven bars.
- Claude’s favorite way to spend time outdoors is road biking, followed closely by snowboarding. Her Canyon road bike (great DTC disruptor brand!) is amongst her favorite possessions.
- Claude reads The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt over Thanksgiving every year.
by Claude de Jocas, Sr Associate at Volition Capital Not long ago, experts predicted that delivery of healthcare services via the internet would be limited to a narrow band of... more
The Virtualization of Digital Healthcare Twenty years ago, no one expected healthcare could be effectively delivered online But, as we've seen in our own portfolio companies as well as the... more
In honor of International Women's Day and Women's history month, we are interviewing the women we admire In our most recent video, Volition Capital Sr Associate, Claude de Jocas, sits down... more
Why are there so few investors in the growth equity space that are funding gaming companies In this video, Volition Senior Associate Claude de Jocas, dives into an area of focus she's very... more