Claude de Jocas
“You can look at a picture for a week and never think of it again. You can also look at a picture for a second and think of it all your life.”
― Donna Tartt, The Goldfinch
Claude is a Vice President on Volition Capital’s Internet and Consumer investment team. She joined Volition in 2019 and focuses on investments in direct-to-consumer products, tech-enabled services, and marketplaces, with sector interests in beauty and wellness, age tech, and healthcare.
PRIOR EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- Claude started her career in New York City at L2 Inc. and rode the roller coaster of joining an early-stage team (>20 employees) all the way to being acquired by Gartner, Inc. (NYSE: IT) five years later.
- While at L2, Claude partnered on digital strategy initiatives with Fortune 500 consumer companies ranging from Nike to Estée Lauder Companies and helped management teams accelerate their businesses’ growth via e-commerce.
- Before Volition, Claude interned during her MBA summer at Bullish, a seed fund that’s backed direct-to-consumer disruptors, including Peloton, Harry’s, Warby Parker, and Casper.
- Claude holds a BA from Yale in Economics and Environmental Studies and an MBA from Harvard Business School.
FUN FACTS ABOUT CLAUDE
- She was born in Abu Dhabi (she’s happy to tell that story!) and raised in Toronto. Her sports loyalties are a hybrid of places she’s called home over the years – she’s a longtime Raptors fan and an emerging Red Sox fan.
- She was a competitive gymnast in high school and college, but if you meet her, you’ll be surprised to hear it. At 5’7”, she’s tall for a gymnast. Her specialty was the uneven bars.
- Her favorite way to spend time outdoors is road biking, followed closely by snowboarding. One of her favorite possessions is her Canyon road bike (great DTC disruptor brand!).
- Claude reads The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt over Thanksgiving every year.
“I love meeting with founders that have a deeply personal reason for starting their company. These are the leadership teams that have identified a truly broken customer journey and set out to make things better. These are businesses that are equal parts economics and empathy – how could you not want to help advance that goal?
I’ve spent a lot of time in previous roles advising CEOs at incumbent firms on how to guard against ‘disruption.’ I was way more excited about better understanding the disruptors and helping them to win! I was drawn to growth equity investing because we are lucky enough to partner with scrappy firms who are making an outsized impact (and keeping the old guard up at night).”
NEWS & INSIGHTS
Claude de Jocas Featured on Female VC Lab Podcast Last week, Volition... more
Volition Capital Vice President Claude de Jocas Named a Top Women Leader in Growth... more
Delivering Digital Pharmacy Solutions: Why We Invested In Medly Pharmacy by,... more
How has the COVID-19 crisis impacted Americans When will consumers be ready to go... more
By Claude de Jocas Under the White House’s Guidelines for Opening Up America... more
By Claude de Jocas This is the second in a four-part series on the beauty industry... more